Saturday, March 19, 2011

JOHN BUNYAN, THOUGH LONG GONE, STILL SPEAKS

The lists below are from John Bunyan (1628-1688), in his authobiography, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, which journals his spiritual journey from unbelief to belief in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

 6. I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:

(1) Tendencies toward unbelief.
(2) Suddenly to forget the love and mercy that Christ manifests.
(3) A leaning to the works of the law.
(4) Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
(5) To forget to watch for that which I pray for.
(6) Apt to murmur because I have no more, and yet ready to abuse what I
     have.
(7) I can do none of those things which God commands me, but my
     corruptions will thrust themselves in, ‘When I would do good, evil is 
     present with me.’


7. These things (mentioned above) I continually see and feel, and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God orders them for my good.

(1) They make me abhor myself.
(2) They keep me from trusting my heart.
(3) They convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness.
(4) They show me the necessity of fleeing to Jesus.
(5) They press me to pray unto God.
(6) They show me the need I have to watch and be sober.
(7) And provoke me to look to God, through Christ, to help me, and carry me
     through this world. Amen


2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this Ernie
    Its all so true and we must look to Christ to carry us through this world and to be ready to meet God the father. Thank you for posting this. Love Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always humbling. Awesome to read. Thanks Ernie for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

All encouraging and edifying comments welcome!