Friday, March 19, 2010

ARE YOU STANDING ON THE RIGHT FOUNDATION?

I have been listening to "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. In one part, the family had to tell Corrie's aunt, Tante Jans, her tuberculosis was at the final stage. This was a sure death sentence. Her aunt's response surprised the family. Upon hearing this news, she covered her face with her hands. They tried to encourage her, by reminding her, of the many good works that she could bring before the Lord. But, she burst out with,

"Empty! Empty! How can we bring anything to God? Does He care for our little tricks and trinkets?" And then as we listened in disbelief, She lowered her hands and with tears still coursing down her face whispered, "Dear Jesus I thank you that we must come with empty hands. I thank you that you have done all, all on the Cross, and that all we need in life or death is to be sure of this."

This is not meant to be a discouragement to good works. If your hope and faith are in God and His Son, then you were "created in Christ Jesus for good works". Tante Jans probably would not have lived her life any differently. What she realized at the moment of hearing her physical death sentence, I can add nothing to what Jesus has done in respect to my salvation.

JESUS did "All on the Cross". "All we need in life or death is to be sure of this."

Are you sure of this?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this really touched my heart. I didn't expect what she said as I read on. There truly is nothing that we can bring with us to heaven. I like her will only be able to say "Empty, empty hands I bring. Jesus paid it all on the cross." I pray that through the power of His Holy Spirt that I will be obedient to accomplish "in Him" the works He has called me to do.

    ReplyDelete

All encouraging and edifying comments welcome!