Saturday, March 13, 2010

CAN ANY GOOD THING BE FOUND IN THAILAND?

Acts 21:1 And when we (Paul and friends) had parted from them and set sail, we came by a straight course to Cos, and the next day to Rhodes, and from there to Patara. 2 And having found a ship crossing to Phoenicia, we went aboard and set sail. 3 When we had come in sight of Cyprus, leaving it on the left we sailed to Syria and landed at Tyre, for there the ship was to unload its cargo. 4 And having sought out the disciples, we stayed there for seven days.


The above passage is just a portion of one of Paul's missionary journeys. It reminded me of one of the most exciting times in my life. While in the Air Force I had been sent overseas to Thailand. Part of the excitement was being able to go to another country. But, another part of the excitement was having the opportunity to meet Christians from a different part of the world.


Some of my memories there as a young believer, centered on a local missionary, John Perkins. He had been in Thailand for 30 years. It was exciting to be able to co-labor with him! It was in a limited way but still meaningful to me. He was still faithful to the Lord after all those years!


In that time he had established 12 local/regional churches. By the time I had been stationed in Thailand, John's role had changed. God had already raised up pastors from within the various churches. He was in a very real sense an apostle to these churches.


In this "apostle" role, John had oversight of all the pastors and key leaders within each of the churches. On Sundays he would visit one, and sometimes two of the churches, to preach and encourage the congregations. On occasion, several of us from the base would go with him on Sunday to visit one of the churches. Here are a few remembrances of one visit:


It was during the rainy season and the road at one point was flooded. One of the congregation members met us with his boat and took us a few at a time to the other side. I remember John asking a couple of us to give our testimonies of the Lord's salvation in our lives. He said just speak for about 5 minutes. I was a little nervous. He translated as we spoke. I remember thinking after about things I should have said and ways that I could have said it better. It was exciting to hear and recognize a hymn being sung in the Thai language. I don't remember any more specifics, but it has been exciting to remember it!


Another way in which I was able to be a co-laborer with John was to be a part of an English teaching program that he had established. Several of us at the base would volunteer to teach the Thai University students.


The class was located in a building in downtown Udorn. The name on the sign over the doorway said Good News Book-room. If I remember right it was written both Thai and English. His practice was to use Christian resources to teach the students. This became a tool to disciple those students who were already believers and to evangelize those who were not.


This has been a good time for me, remembering the Lord's work in my life. I hope you have enjoyed hearing about it. From time to time as the Scriptures trigger other memories I will share more of my early life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing some of your memories of Thailand! How wonderful of the Lord to provide this friendship with missionary John. I'm sure you were just as much a joyful blessing to him as he was to you. God was delighted I'm sure at your willingness to share your young faith in Christ to the Thai students. His Word never comes back to Him void. That promise lets me know that He used every word you shared and help teach in the "Good News Book Room." I'm looking forward to meeting John in Heaven as well as all who were brought to faith in Christ as a result of His faithful 30+ years of service. I'm also believing God that there will also be some in Heaven, as a result of your willing, servants heart while there as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

All encouraging and edifying comments welcome!