Tuesday, April 20, 2010

LOVE MY ENEMIES?


Psalm 35:13 But I, when they were sick -- I wore sackcloth; I afflicted myself with fasting; I prayed with head bowed on my chest. 14 I went about as though I grieved for my friend or my brother; as one who laments his mother, I bowed down in mourning.


The heart felt emotions above are actually quite unusual, and even unnatural to our inclinations, considering their context. Consider that the psalmist uttered these words on behalf of "those who fight against me", "my pursuers", those "who seek after my life", those who "hid their net for me", those who "dug a pit for my life", those "malicious witnesses" who "rise up", those who "repay me evil for good", those who "rejoiced and gathered" "at my stumbling", those who "gathered together against me", those "wretches" who "tore at me without ceasing, those who "gnash at me with their teeth", those who "hate me without a cause" those who "devise words of deceit".

In light of such affliction and hatred, from obvious enemies, would you respond the way the psalmist did? Would you be praying for them, afflicting your own self with fasting, grieving as if for a friend or brother, lamenting and mourning as if for your mother.

Seems quite unnatural indeed!

His cries and prayers were not all for their well being. He did ask God for judgment upon them. He asked God to contend for him. He even had plans on glorifying God once his enemies were judged. "Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD, exulting in his salvation". But even despite these prayers he still cared for his enemies when they were sick.

We are living in times much like the psalmist. It is becoming increasingly obvious the hatred and affliction that Christians are receiving in our own country. Legislation promoted in this country continues to cut at biblical principles. Would you pray for the designers of such legislation, if they fell sick, as if they were your friend, brother, or even your mother?

Praying for God's Justice concerning our enemies is easy, but it seems to go against the grain of our human nature to pray for their well being.

Let us pray for God's Justice, but let us also heed the words of our Lord Jesus who said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Why? "So that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."





1 comment:

  1. Well said Ern, but as you well know, I myself, have suffered at the hands of "evil doers." I have had to live with those "who have hated me without cause" and have used "lies and deceitful words against me."
    As you know, I have prayed through these wounds for around 13+ years now. I MUST forgive. After all, how else could I take the bread and the cup before the Lord and in remembering His death and resurrection?
    I also believe that there just may come the time, maybe even now, when these so-called fellow heirs of Christ, must confess the great wrongs they have done me. Their lies and malicious talk has hurt me for many a year now. I like King David also cry out "How Long O Lord How Long will You let this one go unpunished? How long until I am vindicated by You?"

    Their deceitful lips have caused my hurt, and broken relationships. They have spoiled possible friendships. Their lies have dishonored my ministry through the years. Because I have said nothing, they are lifted up as mature?? I continue to cry out to God also for their sake and for their well being. How can they do well in life with this great sin on their account?? It cannot be as well as it could be can it? I have prayed for them and prayed for God's blessing upon them. I have forgiven them and tried to live as it they had never sinned so hatefully against me and yet they still think ill of me.
    I rest my case before God almighty. If He would have compassion on Cain who slew his brother Able, why does He give me a harsher burden to bear? It is too harsh for me, it is greater than I can bear and remain where I am.

    ReplyDelete

All encouraging and edifying comments welcome!