Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Review: "In the Presence of My Enemies" by Gracia Burnham with Dean Merrill

This is the story of Martin and Gracia Burnham, missionaries in the Philippines, who were taken captive by extreme Islamic Jihadists. It takes you on a year long journey through the jungles without proper shelter, clothing, and sanitation. Food was not always in abundance. They were separated from their loved ones (children and parents).


Gracia says this, “My goal in writing this was to tell Martin’s story. I hope we’ve done it well.”

It was done very well. Martin lives and breathes in this story. Martin was a man whose deep godly wisdom and love for God is seen throughout their captivity. Part of that love was, amazingly, for his captors.

Gracia’s story comes out too. She shares her husband’s love and forgiveness for her captives. In light of the fact that Martin did not survive the rescue attempt this is extraordinary! One example will suffice, shown graphic pictures of her dead captors on the day of her rescue. She began crying. The agent showing the pictures was surprised that she was not glad they were killed. She responded if I believe what I do then these men are in hell with no other chances for God’s forgiveness. Those who are still alive she has forgiven and prays for their salvation.

Pam Ward, the reader of this Christian Audio (http://christianaudio.com/) book, did such a fine job; I found it very easy to think that I was listening to Gracia herself.

This book will cause you to examine your heart before God who sees and knows all. As one who is a part of the volunteer christianaudio reviewers program I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ernie,
    Thanks so much for reviewing this book. It is a moving story indeed and was difficult for me to endure at times. So much so, that I myself got so emotional, that I never have been able to finish the complete book! I'm so grateful for all the snip-its you've shared with me as you made your way completely through this story, even the updated version with what has happened in and to the Burnham family since Gracia's release.

    I believe that Gracia did indeed fulfill her goal to retell her husband Martin's story with the honor it deserved. His martyrdom was not in vain.

    To me the biggest miracle of all, more than Gracia's final rescue, was the miracle God wrought in their hearts! God gave them the grace to forgive their captors. He gave them a supernatural love and concern for those who held them against their will. They forgave them and wept at the death of some of their captors who had been killed. This is miraculous indeed. Something that we as human beings by ourselves would be incapable of. Something that God alone can do through a willing heart. A work of God's Holy Spirit, in the hearts of His own dear children who are totally in submission to His Sovereign will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments Tia, you caught the essence of what I was trying to share in the review.

    ReplyDelete

All encouraging and edifying comments welcome!